Blades United Methodist Church was originally called “Bladesville M.E. Church.” The first church, a frame building about 24’ by 36’ was built in 1870 and was located on Concord Road. (presently East High Street. The land was donated on October 7th, 1871, by James M. Blades.
It was also called “Cannon’s Chapel.” The Reverend Alfred A. Fisher was the first pastor.
The old chapel badly needed repairs, and most of its members living in Blades voted to move into town.
On November 15th, 1887, under the leadership of Rev. William Benson Gregg, the trustees purchased a lot on Main Street,
(presently South Market Street.) from Leonard J. and Louis M. Blades, heirs of James M. Blades.
The cornerstone for the new church was laid on December 7th, 1887. The church was a two-story frame building measuring 30’ by 42’.
It was dedicated on January, 13th, 1889, and named “Gregg” in honor of Pastor Gregg.
In, 1909, Reverend R. Ward Mills was appointed pastor of the church. During the time that Rev. Mills served there was a need for a larger church.
In November 1921, the Board of Trustees named a committee that had the authority to purchase materials and hire the carpenter, W.B. Venables, to do the work of building the church. They added Sunday School rooms on the south side of the church and an addition to the church.
The front of the church was moved out towards Market St, about 15 feet.
The church bell was made by the McShane Bell Foundry, Henry McShane and Co., Baltimore, MD, trademark 1888. Gregg M.E. Church was again incorporated on January 26th, 1921, and the cornerstone laid on January 1, 1922.
The cross on the steeple was added to the church while Reverend Dale Pritchard served as pastor.
The name “Blades Methodist Church” was adopted in 1940 and remained until 1972 when it changed to “Blades United Methodist Church.”
Ruff, Elizabeth Phillips, A History of Blades United Methodist Church, 1993
Copyright © 2022 Worship-OnDemand.com - Production by Sand Shrimp Studios- All Rights Reserved.
"Good Enough" All liturgy and leader parts Marcia McFee © www.worshipdesignstudio.com/goodenough. Used and adapted with permission.
Powered by the Holy Spirit & Coffee